Pages

01 October 2010

Finding my Style


Y'know, some days, I frustrate myself trying to get everything "just right" and trying to "measure up" to what will get approval from my online "buddies"...

This post from "Making Our Mark" really put all that fussing into perspective for me, so I wanted to take a moment to share it!

Here's an especially relevant part of the post that really hit home for me and prompted this post today:

This is directly copied and pasted from Colleen's blog, I cannot take credit for the phrasing, but it's worded perfectly!!  "Being creative is good for the soul. The world is changing, faster than we can keep up with. I’m going to tell you one of the new secrets: You don’t need permission, and you don’t need approval. Once upon a time if you wanted to be an artist you had to drag your portfolio to gallery after gallery, agent after agent, hoping someone will like you and give you an audience. That’s not true anymore. The internet has equalized things, you don’t have to be the most popular crafter at your local scrapbooking store. You don’t have to have a large following to start a blog. You don’t have to stay awake until the wee hours of the morning practicing with your markers before your stuff is good enough to show the world. You don’t need someone to give you permission to be an artist because you already are one.  Be you, because you rock. Blog now, share your stuff now, just because you can."

I don't have anything "creative" to share today, but several works-in-progress... but I hope this post helps just ONE person to understand that creativity comes from within, not from the approval of others!

A huge THANK YOU to "Making Our Mark"!

4 comments:

cardmaking bird said...

I LOVE the sentiment behind it - thanks for sharing it with us! Hugs, Marie x

Unknown said...

Oh! This is awesome!
Believe me, we all have that feeling of wanting others approvals. It doesn't really go away. The better you get, the higher the expectation and the pressure. This is wonderful advice that I think I'm going to snag for myself as well. LOL! :D

Colleen Chapman said...

I am soooo glad that this little ramble of mine touched home with you. You DO rock, keep that in your heart. xoxo, Colleen

Lorie said...

I really like this, too! You need to know you are a GREAT artist!

Post a Comment